Saturday 2 January 2010

Ten things for 2010

I don't really go in for New Year's resolutions, however, I do find January a good time to identify my aims for the year and to start planning how to meet them. Some are large and some are small, but hopefully all are possible...

(ok, so you may think that there is a thin line between my 'planning' and having 'resolutions', but I'm afraid to my mind NYR's tend to be about things we should be doing anyway, but often can't quite stick to (I will eat less, I will quit smoking, etc), rather than setting out achievable goals with a plan for how to reach them.... oh, alright. I suppose you could have a resolution and then plan how to keep it. Whatever. It's a list of things I plan to do over the next 12 months!)

  1. Have our very own vegetable garden: so although we've been growing some of our own veg for the last 12 months, 2010 sees us in our very own home, with our very own garden to play in. We've already done some planning and preparatory work, but there is still quite a lot to be done before we can start sowing this spring, followed by growing, harvesting, eating and preserving. Yum - can't wait!
  2. Waterwise: we've already bought a water-efficient washing machine, and we're currently in the process of getting a dishwasher to similar low-energy and low-water specifications. However, given that our garden plans will require quite a lot of the wet stuff, there is a lot more we'll need to do if we want to reduce waste, from the installation of garden water butts, to a new shower head (fewer showers not an option!)
  3. Make: I got an amazing present for Christmas - the Cath Kidston 'Make!' book, which includes 48 applique projects. More than that, it has inspired me to get crafty over the next 12 months. Needles of all kinds at the ready!
  4. It's a wrap: A relatively small aim, but I plan not to use shop-bought wrapping paper for any gifts this year. I've already started collecting tissue paper and pretty sweet wrappers from Christmas, so people can expect to start receiving interesting looking parcels! Plus, there will be no sticky tape, either - standard tape includes PVC and solvents which are damaging to the environment and their use also makes the re-use of wrapping paper difficult.
  5. Charitable giving: I'm going to increase my charitable giving this year to help support causes I feel strongly about.
  6. And I'm going to Become an activist: by doing something myself to make a difference. This could be volunteering, or joining a local group or network that campaigns about an issue I feel strongly about.
  7. Skin deep: I've gone a long way to reducing the parabens that I'm ingesting through toiletries, etc, but there are still a couple of products where I can swap to a more natural alternative, which I'm planning to do this year.
  8. Buy recycled: I want to be more inventive than just the usual recycled toilet roll and refuse bags. For that reason, I'm going to be actively searching for recycled alternatives rather than buying something new, from glassware to clothes.
  9. Plastic. Less than fantastic: So I almost never accept a plastic carrier bag in the supermarket now, but I don't always think to do this in other shops (and I don't think I'm alone, judging by other people I see in queues). This year, I plan to significantly reduce the number of bags I accept in high-street shops.
  10. Wild about Britain: finally, in addition to spending lots of time in our garden, I want to get out and see more things in the countryside this year and maybe try some new outdoor activities... canoeing, anyone?!

No comments:

Post a Comment