Monday 22 August 2011

Late summer herb garden

Calendula (pot marigold) flower-heads ready for drying
I last wrote about my new herb garden in June, when the bed was just newly finished and most of the plants didn't have a lot of growth. Here are some pics of the garden as it looks now in late August. I managed to miss harvesting the chamomile, but I've already picked a lot of the calendula for drying and I'll be harvesting the seeds on the dill and the coriander shortly too, once they've dried on the plant a little more. As you can see from the pictures, the plants really took off and I'm planning to add a lot more supports next year to keep things in check. I may also rethink some of the annual herbs I plant - as the medicinal/household/craft herb wheel in particular has become very overgrown and I haven't used some of these herbs at all this year.

The herb garden in late summer

The culinary wheel - the mint and tarragon have both had to be cut back at times to stop them taking over.

The medicinal/household/craft wheel - the borage has pretty much fallen over and I don't think I'll bother with it next year.

Here's the corner with the dill, sage, parsley and rosemary - the sage plants were so small when I put them in!

No comments:

Post a Comment