Thursday 22 November 2012

I love reading

I love reading. This has always been true, although if I'd been writing this book a few years ago, I would probably have - mistakenly - phrased it as 'I love books'.

It might not be in the best interests of the traditional publishing industry, but ebooks and ebook readers are here to stay. I was very much in two minds about getting a Kindle - I was concerned that I wouldn't enjoy the experience of reading from a screen in the same way as I enjoyed turning the pages of an actual book, but my 'early-ish adopter' husband persuaded me to give it a go, and after another week of lugging my library books to and from work in order to be able to read on the train, I succumbed.

And I've never looked back, supporting my main Kindle with a download of the Kindle reader software on my laptop and to my work iPad, so that I'm not even limited to reading on the initial device, but can access my library on whatever machine is closest to hand or most appropriate for the circumstances.

And library is really the only way to describe it. In the two years I've had my Kindle, I've purchased in excess of 150 ebooks. I'm not sure if it is the lower price point, the ease of the one-click payment system, the speed at which I can access the next book (I tend to be drawn to trilogies at best, series at worst) or just the joy of discovering new authors (and rediscovering old friends), but my already voracious appetite for books (which used to have to be supplemented by regular library visits in order to protect my bank account) continues to be met. Best of all, my Kindle weighs less than your average paperback book and takes up less space in my bag. Indeed, this device was the only thing that kept me sane during the 4 months I managed to breastfeed our daughter as it meant the hour she spent feeding was also a time I could look forward to relaxing with a good book, without having to worry about how both to hold the book and turn the page with only one hand.

The even better news is that, by significantly reducing the number of printed books I buy (I've still bought a handful over the two-year period) I'm also helping the environment. According to a report from the Cleantech Group an average book has a carbon footprint of 7.5 kilograms of CO2 over its lifetime. Surprisingly, there are also fewer toxic chemicals used to manufacture an ebook reader than in the ink required to print a book. Who knew?

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment